MTWFA Scholarship Application Fillable
The Massachusetts Tree Wardens’ and Foresters’ Association awards scholarships to students actively studying arboriculture, community forest management, urban forestry, or a related field.
- The scholarship grants range from $500 to $1500 per student.
- Funding for the annual grants comes from the proceeds of the annual Arbor Day Seedling Program. The five scholarships bear the names of the following Association members who have made major contributions to the organization and the industry:
- Fred C. Burk
- Louis J. Casasanto
- Professor Gordon S. King
- Dr. Malcom A. McKenzie
- Seth H. Swift
- An applicant must be either:
- a student attending an accredited college or university in Massachusetts; or
- a Massachusetts resident attending an accredited out-of-state college or university; or
- a high school senior who will be attending an accredited college or university in the fall of the application year.
- An applicant must be enrolled or planning to be enrolled in a program of arboriculture, community forest management, urban forestry or a related field.
- A college or university applicant must have completed at least one college semester in one of these programs. High school seniors who are granted an award must request the payment after they have submitted their first-semester college transcript.
- Award decisions are based on financial need and an acceptable grade point average.
- Applications are due by February 15th.
- The student must fill out the Scholarship Application. The downloadable application is posted above.
- The application may be submitted via mail, or scan and email.
- Awards are presented in March at the UMass Amherst Community Tree Conference.
- The application may be filled in by computer or by hand.
- Or, a scholarship application may be requested via email or phone 781-894-4759
The Scholarship Committee publicizes the five scholarships, reviews applications, selects recipients, recommends board approval of the recipients and amounts, and notifies the recipients by letter. In addition, UMass arboriculture faculty members select the recipient of the annual Dennis Ryan Outstanding Arboriculture Student Scholarship, awarded jointly by the Massachusetts Tree Wardens’ and Foresters’ Association and the Massachusetts Arborists Association.
- Link to Apply to Scholarship: https://masstreewardens.org/scholarships/
- Organization Website Link: www.masstreewardens.org
- Past Recipient Stories: https://masstreewardens.org/scholarship-recipients/